Free school meals in primary schools
We offer every child in a ‘maintained’ primary (including infants and junior) school in Newham a free school lunch every day. The offer of free school meals is a Mayor's Promise
A maintained school is one that is funded by the Government through a local authority. In Newham, we are the local authority. Academies and free schools are not maintained schools.
Extra funding for your child's school
Even though primary schools offer a free school lunch every day, if you apply for a free school meal - and we agree your application - you can raise £623 for your child’s school. This extra money comes from the Government, and in the next school year the amount goes up to £900 per child.
Free school meals in secondary schools
The price of a two-course hot meal in Newham secondary schools is £1.80, one of the lowest for a meal of its type in London.
Qualifying for free school meals in secondary schools
Children who receive one of the benefits listed can get free school meals.
If you are a parent or carer, and you get one of the benefits listed, your child may receive free school meals, but you need to apply for them
- income support
- income-based jobseekers allowance
- income-related employment and support allowance
- support under immigration and asylum law
- the guarantee part of state pension credit
- child tax credit and you have an annual income of £16,190 before tax or less (whatever Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs* works out for you).
*Note: if you are a parent and you receive working tax credit in the four weeks immediately after your work ends, your child will get free school meals. The same applies if you receive working tax credits in the four weeks after you start work and you work for less than 16 hours per week.
You cannot get free school meals for your child in secondary school if:
- you (or your partner) receive working tax credit, unless it is in the circumstances explained
- you (or your partner) is the child’s foster parent as arranged by a local authority
- your child is over 16 years of age and goes to a college of further education.