Help with school travel costs

If your child is in full-time education and is under 18, he or she may qualify for help with the cost of travelling to school.

On this page you can find out what help is available, who it is for and how to get it.

Transport for London’s free travel pass

Transport for London (TfL) offers help with travel for children up to 18 years old. To find out what free travel is available for your child, go to the TfL website.

How we can help with the cost of travel to school

If your child does not qualify for a TfL free travel pass​, we might be able to help you with transport costs.

Who qualifies for our scheme?

To qualify, your child must
  • fall outside TfL’s scheme, and
  • go, or be due to go, to a state-funded school in Newham (including academies and free schools), and
  • live three or more miles from school.
If you have been temporarily re-housed and your child meets these tests, then he or she also qualifies for our scheme.
We will not give you help if your child goes to a:
  • nursery school
  • nursery class in primary school
  • special school
  • fee-paying independent school
  • nursery
  • college.
Nor do we give travel passes or help with travel costs for:
  • parents or carers
  • escorts
  • children who go to a school for which their parents expressed a preference.

How to apply

To apply, you need to fill in an application form. You can download it here or phone us on 020 8430 2000 for a copy.
Fill in the form and send it to:
Pupil Services
PO Box 69972
E16 9DG

Help with travel for children with special educational needs

If your child has special educational needs (SEN) we might be able to help you with transport such as:
  • a bus pass
  • a walking escort
  • minibus or car transport.
To find out more, contact the Transport Officer in the SEN Team on 020 3373 4037 or 020 3373 3080.

Help with school travel costs for families on low incomes

If you get the maximum working tax credit or your child qualifies for free school meals, your child can get free school transport if he or she is:
  • 10 to 11 years old and the school is at least 2 miles away
  • 11 to 16 years old and the school is 2 to 6 miles away (as long as there are not three or more suitable schools nearer to your home)
  • 11 to 16 years old and the school is 2 to 15 miles away (if it’s their nearest school because of their religion or belief).

16 to 19 Bursary Fund

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and:
  • study at school or college (not university) in England
  • are on a training course, including unpaid work experience.
A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like:
  • clothing, books and other equipment for your course
  • transport and lunch on days you study or train.

Types of bursary

There are two types of 16 to 19 bursary:

Vulnerable student bursary

You could get a bursary worth up to £1,200, depending on your circumstances and benefits.

Discretionary bursary

You could get a discretionary bursary if you need financial help but don’t qualify for a vulnerable student bursary. Your education or training provider decides how much you get and what it is used for.
For more information, checking eligibility criteria and how to claim visit the Government's website
Back to top