Energy efficiency - grants, discounts and financial help

On this page you can find out about grants, discounts and schemes that can help you with paying your energy bills or help you to pay for improvements to your home to make it more energy efficient.

Man laying loft insulation

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

You may be able to get help to pay for energy efficiency improvements under the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). This is an obligation on the big six energy companies to help to fund improvements. It is in three parts.

Carbon Saving ECO

Carbon Saving ECO helps with the cost of solid wall insulation.

Carbon Communities ECO

Carbon Communities ECO helps with the cost of improvements, including loft and cavity wall insulation, in deprived areas.

Affordable Warmth ECO

Affordable Warmth ECO pays for energy efficiency home improvements for vulnerable residents who get certain income-related benefits and own their own homes or rent from a private landlord.

Generate your own electricity

If you install an electricity-generating technology from a renewable or low-carbon source such as solar panels or a wind turbine, you could get money from your energy supplier through the UK Government's Feed-In Tariffs scheme (FITs).
You can be paid for the electricity you generate, even if you use it yourself, and for any surplus electricity you export to the grid. And of course you will also save money on your electricity bill, because you will be using your own electricity.
Find out more about the Feed-In Tariffs scheme.

Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive

The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a long-term government financial support scheme for homeowners, social and private landlords to install renewable heating systems in their homes in England, Wales and Scotland.

Renewable heat means that a system uses a renewable source of energy to generate heat, rather than a fossil fuel – for example using an air source heat pump rather than oil or gas. Renewable heat systems can help to lower your energy bills.
Find out more about the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive

Winter grants and discounts

Mayor's London Boiler Cashback Scheme

This scheme has ended. Find out more on the Mayor of London's website

Warm Home Discount

You could get a £140 discount on your electricity bill for winter 2015-16 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
You qualify for the discount if on 10 July 2016 all of the following apply:
  • your supplier was part of the scheme
  • your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
  • you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well).
Some electricity suppliers also offer the discount to vulnerable people such as those on a low income. Each supplier has its own rules about who else it will give the discount to. You should check with your supplier to see if you can get the Warm Home Discount.
Find out more about Warm Home Discount on

Cold Weather Payment

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits when your local temperature is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days.

Winter Fuel Payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1953.
You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).
Find out more about Winter Fuel Payment on
Back to top